Mid-Term Reflection

From the start of the 2021 Fall semester virtually in CCNY in Freshmen Composition has shaped my writing styles in several ways:

• Understanding the key terms of a rhetorical essay
  • Learning how to use the MLA format in an actual real essay
  • Reading the passage and jotting down notes that were relevant to what any article is stating
  • Knowing when is it the right time to use these rhetorical definitions.
  • Reading other students’ essay samples and learning how to format the essays correctly

So far in Freshmen Composition, learning about rhetorical essays, analysis, and situations shaped my style of writing a lot because it gave me the chance to use my knowledge of what I learned from the articles we read for HW and using them to type about what the passage is clearly stating. But most importantly, to use these resources and creating my own thinking to get the enitre moral of it. Compared to how I type my research papers in high school, my teacher would tell me that I was not using my resources well and that she did not understand what my paper is about, but as of now, as I got into CCNY, then that is when the real work began. Another comparison was that my high school teacher also told me that I am not using the quotes correctly and she would get confused on the quotes I pick from any novel, however, as I started joining the Freshman Composition class and my first ever source based essay, my professor had said that, ‘I was on the right path with my topic, but all I needed was to organize it.’ That kind of situation made me realize that Professor Murphy was right, not only did I need to focus on the topic of my source based essay, but also to organize it so that he will know what paragraph is about.
When it comes to essays like my first ever source-based essay, the other lessons I learned from this course were I need to stay on track with the quotes and the information so that it can make my essay easier and more understandable for myself and the audience to understand, even if it is your own opinion. I also learned that you must keep your essay organized and neat when you start presenting it so that I will know which paragraph is stating on what, in which it also makes my essay more understandable. From my own standards, I also learned that in high school, using outlines is one of the most logical ways to do before you write down your essay so it will be easier to know the details of any given article or novel. As I got into CCNY, instead of using outlines, I just jot down notes and quotes that were important for my essay.
My overall observation of the rhetorical analysis lesson in this class was that when it comes to them, I also had to pay attention to how the authors of these passages address their own opinions on their own topics. From all the articles I had to read for my source-based essay, I learned that I had to pay attention to the author’s details and quotes that support how I want to address my essay to the audience for a better understanding.